With our crazy weather lately we've had really hot and humid temperatures followed by heavy thunderstorms with down-pours.
This did not bode well for my chicken's run. A little lake was left after each rain fall, and my girls had limited space in their run. So, we got some eavestrough that was quick to put up, and it was night and day difference! Wet, yes, but not a lake when it rained. Unfortunately, we had rain non-stop for a couple days, so it did flood again. We're now building up the ground out there with lots of sod from our field. The girls get lots of fresh grass, and slowly but surely the ground will get higher. Once they eat all the grass and it gets muddy, we'll put some sand/gravel in there for better drainage. I'm so happy about that and so are my girls!
We also got red and white barn paint for the coop. After putting two coats of metal primer on followed by two coats of paint the next day it looks so pretty! So much better than the mish-mash of white, beige, and mint green colors.
Lastly, we have their nest boxes built and installed! As they approached 16 weeks old, we thought we should get them in, so they could get used to them. We used the wood, hinges and latch from the big brooder, and the size was perfect for the space. They now have three nest boxes filled with hay from our bales. They sit 18" off the ground, and are about 12” wide x 14” high x 14” deep.
It’s a good thing we got the nest boxes in on Sunday, because look at the two surprises I found a few days later…!!